Mid-Veganuary, are you still on board or have you abandoned ship?
If you’re like me, you may have wondered if this is a fad or a long-term trend?
Yet here are some sobering facts:
- 58% of total food emissions come from animal products
- Eating an apple a week for a year = 11km in a petrol car
- Conversely, one weekly serving of beef = 2,482km in the same car
- Food = 26% of global greenhouse emissions
- Vegan lifestyles can cut individual food impact by 2/3
"What we eat is one of the most powerful drivers behind most of the world's major environmental issues, whether it's climate change or biodiversity loss.” - Oxford researcher Joseph Poore. Many UK supermarkets and food brands are catering to the rise in vegan food demand including Tesco with their ‘Veganuary’ initiative and Sainsbury’s with their continually growing vegan food selection. Will your brand deliver environmentally sound choices aligned to the UN global goals for the conscious consumer?